There are a bunch of things you should know about dog training but we are going to discuss what I feel are some the most important. Keep in mind that these are only some of the things you should know.
1. Repetition is the number 1 principle of dog training. Dogs just like humans learn by doing things over and over in order to get better.
2. Dog Training can and should be fun for both you and your dog.
3. Training sessions should always be short but sweet. I never work a dog more than 15 minutes in a session to keep from loosing the dog’s attention. You should train you dog at least once a day but never more than three formal sessions a day.
4. Your goal should be that each training session is just a little bit better than the last one. You need to always strive to make the training better, slowly. I mention this because quite often I see people who do daily training sessions but the dog never gets better and it is not the dogs fault.
5. Having patients is very important in dog training. Loosing your temper does not work with a dog it simply makes things worse.
6. Exercise is very important in the training process to get rid of all the dogs nervous energy.
7. Taking your dog for walks is very important because it develops serotonin which gives your dog a feeling of well being.
8. Always be sure to give your dog a bunch of praise in your training. It is your dog’s paycheck for doing a great job.
9. Never hit your dog. I have heard people say I never hit my dog instead I roll up a magazine ands swat it. It’s the same thing…hitting is hitting.
10. After each training session be sure to do something that your dog will enjoy. Take it for a walk, throw the ball or maybe even rub its belly. Just do something that makes the dog look forward to the next training session.
These are things that I teach my dog training students as well as my dog training clients. I hope these things will give you something to think about when training your dog. Spend some time training your dog daily and you will both reap the benefits.